Visa advice for the Netherlands
Which visa option is best suitable for you?
In the Netherlands it is not possible to apply for a student visa when studying at a language school, therefore ALX cannot provide you with a visa. However, we can help you in finding the visa that is most suitable for you. On this page you will find information about the different visas in the Netherlands based on your nationality and the nature of your stay.
Short-stay (90 days or less)
When staying up to three months in the Netherlands, there are two options based on your nationality.
- If you are either from an EU country or one of the other countries the Netherlands has a reciprocal agreement with, you do not need a visa to stay up to 90 days.
To check whether this applies to you, please check this list of countries whose nationals need or do not need a short-stay visa
- If this is not the case for you, you will need a Short-stay Schengen visa. Which allows you to stay in the Netherlands for up to 90 days.
Long-stay (more than 90 days)
For staying in the Netherlands for more than 90 days, in most cases you will need to apply for a residence permit and/or a long-stay visa (authorisation for temporary stay/ MVV).
Which one applies to you depends on your nationality and the nature of your stay. Please check Staying in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days as this website will direct you to the visa needed for your stay.
Working Holiday Programme
Argentina, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Taiwan and Uruguay
For travellers from these countries there is a special program allowing you to come to the Netherlands for up to a year to get to learn about the Dutch culture and society (cultural exchange).
You can apply to this program when:
- You are from one of the following countries/territories: Argentina, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Taiwan or Uruguay;
- You are between 18 and 30 years old;
- You have not previously had a residence permit for exchange in the Netherlands;
- Some other conditions apply depending on your nationality.
You will have to apply for a residence permit when applying for this program. For more information on this programma and to apply please visit the Working Holiday Programme website.
Please enter your access token.